Time Approval for Employees (Supervisor) - FAQ

What if the staff member does not electronically sign and submit their timesheet on time?

The staff member will not be paid on a timely basis. In order for the staff member to be paid, you must submit a Payroll Check Request.

What if a supervisor is gone at the end of the payroll?

Each staff member is assigned an alternate supervisor who can review and approve time. The primary and alternative supervisor should coordinate who will approve timesheets each period.

What if a staff member worked in an earlier pay period but didn’t record all of their hours and now the timesheet is not accessible?

The supervisor will need to contact Renie Thompson in Payroll at 336-278-5284 and submit a Payroll Check Request for the missed pay. Staff members should record and submit hours worked during the correct time period. It is imperative that staff do not “stockpile” hours in order to receive one lump sum payment.

What if a staff member entered her/his time on the wrong position?

During the pay period and before the staff member has checked the box to submit her/his hours for supervisor approval, the staff member can delete the incorrect hours and enter them on the correct timesheet.

If the staff member has submitted the timesheet and the supervisor has not yet approved it, the supervisor can reject the timesheet so the staff member can enter it on the correct position or the supervisor may correct the timesheet directly.

If the staff member and the supervisor both approved the hours for payment, the supervisor needs to submit an Expense Correction Form to Renie Thompson in Payroll so that the proper budget is charged for the pay. The Expense Correction Form can be found at http://www.elon.edu/e-web/bft/accounting/budget.xhtml.

What if I don’t see all the staff members listed for those who report to me?

If a staff member is not listed, that person or position may not have been assigned to Web Time Entry in the system yet. Note that staff will not be set up with access to Web Time Entry and should not be working until they have completed all required paperwork such as the I-9 and federal and state W-4 forms. First, contact Human Resources at 336-278-5560 to ensure all paperwork has been entered. Finally, contact Renie Thompson in Payroll at 336-278-5284 to ensure there are no other problems.

What is the difference between a primary supervisor and an alternate supervisor?

All staff should have both a primary and alternate supervisor. The primary supervisor should be their day-to-day supervisor, the one who will generally know when a staff member works and the one who will generally approve the timesheet each pay period. The alternate supervisor may be one of many things: 1) a back-up to the primary supervisor in case of the primary supervisor's absence; 2) an individual responsible for monitoring departmental employment compared to budget; 3) a second supervisor in the case of an employee that reports equally to two supervisors.

What if the staff member does not sign their timesheet but I approve it?

A staff member will only be paid for timesheets submitted with an electronic signature AND supervisor approval. If a timesheet is submitted with no signature but has supervisor approval, the time will not be paid. In order for the staff member to be paid for those hours worked, the supervisor must submit a Payroll Check Request to Payroll. Contact Renie Thompson in Payroll at 336-278-5284 with any questions.


Article ID: 77506
Mon 5/6/19 12:02 PM
Tue 11/1/22 5:35 PM
Internal or External

Related Services / Offerings (1)

If you are experiencing issues with OnTrack, first browse the OnTrack articles found in the Knowledge Base. Also, remember that your OnTrack password may be different than your Elon account password (the account used for accessing email, Moodle, etc.).