Time Approval for Student Employees (Supervisor) - FAQ

What if the student does not submit their time sheet on time?

The student may not be paid on a timely basis. Electronic time reporting is a commonly used tool and familiarity with it will benefit the student in future employment situations. In order for the student to be paid, the supervisor must submit a Payroll Manual Timesheet.

What if a supervisor is gone at the end of the payroll?

When away from campus and/or not able to perform their time approval duties, each supervisor should have another faculty or staff member assigned as a proxy who can review and approve student time sheets in the supervisor's absence. Supervisors should communicate their proxy contact information to their student staff members.  If the supervisor is unable to add the proxy then Human Resources (336-278-5560) or Payroll (336-278-5260) can add the proxy for them.  Employee Proxy Information

I see my student's other positions and hours. Am I approving those hours when I approve the hours for my position?

No, you can only approve any hours for positions for which you are the supervisor. The other positions should be labeled as "Non-managed position". The system is set up to only approve your position's hours when you click Approve.

What if a student worked in an earlier pay period but didn’t record all of their hours and now the time sheet is not accessible?

The supervisor will need to contact Renie Thompson in Payroll at 336-278-5284 and submit a Payroll Manual Timesheet for the missed pay. Students should record and submit hours worked during the correct time period. It is imperative that students do not “stockpile” hours in order to receive one lump sum payment.

What if a student entered their time on the wrong position?

During the pay period and before the student deadline has passed, the student can delete the incorrect hours and enter them on the correct time sheet.

If the student has submitted the time sheet for approval but the deadline has not passed then they need to click the Return Timecard to Edit button, make the needed changes, and re-submit the time sheet.

If the student and the supervisor both approved the hours for payment, the supervisor needs to submit an Expense Correction Form to Renie Thompson in Payroll so that the proper budget is charged for the pay. Expense Correction Form

What if I don’t see all the students listed for those who report to me?

If a student is not listed, that person or position may not have been assigned to Time Entry in the system yet. Note that students will not be set up with access to Time Entry and should not be working until their work agreement is completed and submitted.

Please contact Donna Boggs in Human Resources at 336-278-5260 to ensure the work agreement has been entered. If Human Resources cannot resolve the issue then contact Renie Thompson in Payroll at 336-278-5284 to ensure there are no other problems.

What is the difference between a supervisor and a proxy?

All students should have a supervisor. The supervisor should be their day-to-day supervisor, the one who will generally know when a student works and the one who will generally approve the student time sheet each pay period. The proxy may be one of many things: 1) a back-up to the supervisor in case of the supervisor's absence; 2) an individual responsible for monitoring departmental student employment compared to budget; 3) a second supervisor in the case of a student that reports equally to two supervisors.  Employee Proxy Information

What if my student staff member is paid by stipend?

Stipend requests will be paid using the bi-weekly schedule. Contact Renie Thompson in Payroll at 336-278-5284 with any questions. All stipend requests should be submitted to Renie Thompson by scanning and emailing them to rthompson8@elon.edu.

What if my student staff member does not submit their time sheet but I approve it?

A student will be paid for time sheets submitted with just the supervisor approval.


Article ID: 77557
Mon 5/6/19 1:39 PM
Tue 1/30/24 1:03 PM
Internal or External

Related Services / Offerings (1)

If you are experiencing issues with OnTrack, first browse the OnTrack articles found in the Knowledge Base. Also, remember that your OnTrack password may be different than your Elon account password (the account used for accessing email, Moodle, etc.).